Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ripples of the macabre

After my suicide and the Seine post, a friend of mine brought this to my attention. It's a series of still photographs of the Thames river, taken by American Roni Horn and currently on display in one of my favorite art museums, London's Tate Modern:

Her comments:

'I thought I would shoot the Seine or the Garonne, but these rivers don’t have the same energy. I don’t know how many people kill themselves in the Seine but it just didn’t look like a convincing suicide route to me. The Thames has the interesting fact attached to it that it is the urban river with the highest appeal to foreign suiciders. So you get people coming in from Paris to kill themselves in the Thames. So it has an incredible draw and one of the points about shooting the Thames was the fact that it’s darkness was quite real—it wasn’t just a visual darkness, it was a psychological darkness. Water is something one’s attracted to largely for the light aspect of it.'

Apparently I'm not the only one to find the topic eerily poetic.

2 comments:

  1. http://ia331317.us.archive.org/1/items/audio_poetry_169_2006/BorgesPoetica_64kb.mp3


    our faces pass away, just like the water.. 0_0

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i saw those pics at moma!

    ReplyDelete