Thursday, October 8, 2009

Month-a-versary

German writer Herta Müller beat Assia Djebar to the nobel. Tant pis. In other literary news, my reading load for this year has hit in full force. I have six novels to read this week, and a paper due Monday. Ah, grad school.

As of today, I have officially been in Paris a month. Here's to many more inspiring months to come.



Yesterday was one of those days that just feels wonderful for no particular reason. It was the first sunny day after a few dreary days of rain, and it ended in an epic thunderstorm that I turned my lights off to enjoy. I spent an unsuccessful two hours in the cell phone store trying to get a plan, but talked a lot of French and treated myself to an ice cream afterwards. Walking down rue Passy alongside commuters bearing dinner baguettes, I was struck, albeit briefly, with that elusive sense of "home." To capitalize on it I bought myself some smelly cheese that came highly recommended by the woman at the cheese store, which I am eating now. It smells vaguely like metro hobo, but tastes delicious.

1 comment:

  1. aaah, The wonders of stinky cheese... I'm glad you're enjoying Paris. I watched a movie last night, largely set there and kept thinking, wouldn't it be wonderful to know all those places? Movies set in NY still make me oddly home sick. Oddly, because I don't consider it home... But I miss it all the same.

    Also, If you have stinky cheese left over (Hah, as if) Pair it with slices of sweet pear. Most awesome desert ever!

    ReplyDelete